Sunday, April 29, 2012

Reading Challenge Update

Reading Challenge Update

I am taking part in four reading challenges this year and am updating my progress monthly.  So here is how I am doing.

1.  Where Are You Reading?
I read and reviewed 6 books this month.  So far I have traveled to four continents, thirteen states and nine countries.  I can't wait to see where my reading adventures take me next.

Check out my map on Google Maps.
View Where are you reading challenge 2012 in a larger map

Here are my books, review links and locations for April:

1. The Dressmaker of Khair Khana by Gayle Tzemach Lemmon.  This book takes place in Afghanistan during the reign of the Taliban.  

2.  Hereafter by Tara Hudson.  This book takes place in Oklahoma and it is a creative ghost story.

3.  Feed by M.T. Anderson.  This place takes place in the future but I chose the state Vermont because the author teaches there.

4.  Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward.  This book takes place in Mississippi during Hurricane Katrina.  It won the National Book Award. 

5.  Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool.  This book takes place in Kansas and it won the Newberry Medal.

6.  Chasing Alliecat by Rebecca Fjelland Davis.  This book takes place in Mankato, Minnesota.  I did not include it on my map since Minnesota is already done.


The Pulitzer Prize Challenge.  So far I have read 3 books and my goal is to read 12.  I am currently one book behind.

January- Tinkers by Paul Harding
February- March by Geraldine Brooks
March- A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan





What's in a Name 5 Challenge
I have 2 books out of the 6 required.  Each book must have something in the title which corresponds to the category.  

1.  Something you'd carry in your pocket, purse, or backpack-  Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

2.  Something you'd see in the sky- Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool





World War 1 Challenge-  I am trying to read at 3 books that take place during World War 1.  So far I have read 1 book.  1 down, 2 to go.


1.  Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool



There you have it.  I hope you challenge yourself this year and read widely.