Thursday, August 14, 2014

Summer Reading- Had me a Blast

Summer Reading- Had me a Blast!

Today is my last day of summer vacation.  So sad :(
Tomorrow, I go back to my life of being a high school social studies teacher.

I want to tell you all about my amazing summer of reading.  I broke my foot in 3 places on May 29th and have been stuck in a boot cast ALL summer.  I am still in the boot cast!  Doctors orders were to put my foot up and stay off of it as much as possible, so I read and read and read and read.  I wrote a little too, on this blog and some short stories and poetry.  I actually took a writing class and met with my writing group on a regular basis.

At the beginning of my summer, I made a goal to read a book a day.  Pretty much this is an impossible goal for me because I'm a slow reader and I have kids and I like to do other things.  Yet, I am so happy with the results of this goal.  I have never ever read this much nor come so close to reading so many books in so many days.

I read 45 books in my 66 days of summer.  Yes!

Here's how I did it:  I read a huge variety of books.  I read graphic novels, children's books, young adult, audio books, novellas and full length novels as well.  I read several books at the same time.  I read during the day and I read different books at night and on the weekends.  I averaged around a 100 pages a day.  I did not read books over 600 pages.  Shorter books were my friends and helped my completion rate rise.

It was so much fun!!  It was nice to read books I've had on my shelf for a long time and I was  regular at my public library this summer as well.

Here is to hoping you had a blast reading this summer too.  How many books have you read?