Thursday, January 1, 2015

My First Book of the Year 2015

My First Book of the Year 2015

Happy New Year Everyone!!

I thought long and hard about what book I should read on the first day of the year and I chose Neverhome by Laird Hunt.  I met Laird in October and the Twin Cities Book Festival and heard him speak about his book and the women who disguised themselves as men and fought in the Civil War.  I LOVE historical fiction and so this is my pick and I can't wait to immerse myself in this book.

I received this book as a Christmas gift from my husband and kids.  I plan to read all my gift books this year.  I don't want them languishing on my shelves for evermore.

Here is the synopsis from Goodreads:

An extraordinary novel about a wife who disguises herself as a man and goes off to fight in the Civil War.

She calls herself Ash, but that's not her real name. She is a farmer's faithful wife, but she has left her husband to don the uniform of a Union soldier in the Civil War. Neverhome tells the harrowing story of Ash Thompson during the battle for the South. Through bloodshed and hysteria and heartbreak, she becomes a hero, a folk legend, a madwoman and a traitor to the American cause.

Laird Hunt's dazzling new novel throws a light on the adventurous women who chose to fight instead of stay behind. It is also a mystery story: why did Ash leave and her husband stay? Why can she not return? What will she have to go through to make it back home?

In gorgeous prose, Hunt's rebellious young heroine fights her way through history, and back home to her husband, and finally into our hearts.

Sheila over at BookJouney is holding an event regarding the first book of the year.  She has created a book collage and a linky for everyone to hop around and see who is reading what.  

What is the first book you are reading this year?